What is Occupational Medicine?
Occupational medicine is a medical specialty that is devoted to the prevention and treatment of non-life-threatening workplace injuries and illnesses. By partnering with an occupational medicine provider, a business owner can help create a healthy and productive workplace by ensuring his or her employees have easy access to important medical services.
Some of the most commonly provided occupational medicine services include:
- Immunizations and vaccines, including flu shots
- Pre-employment and employee physicals
- Drug and alcohol screening
- Treatment for non-emergency workplace injuries
- Vision and hearing testing
- Lab testing for conditions like tuberculosis (TB)
What About Workers’ Compensation?
If you’re unsure about the definition of occupational medicine, you may also be curious about workers’ compensation. You’ve likely heard this term used by your employer’s human resources department or thrown around on law office commercials.
In short, workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that employers pay to cover employees’ medical expenses if they get injured while on the job or acquire a work-related illness. As an employee, this insurance is not deducted from your paycheck, and it can help provide you with peace of mind if you work in an industry that involves plenty of physical activity, such as construction, mining, and firefighting occupations.
Occupational Medicine Services From Affinity Urgent Care
Affinity Urgent Care is a trusted provider of occupational medicine services to businesses across a wide range of industries. Our fully equipped urgent care centers in La Marque, Alvin, and Galveston, Texas, offer convenient, walk-in care seven days a week to patients with non-life-threatening health concerns, including workers’ compensation patients. And, with extended hours every day, we make it simple for employees with a variety of work schedules to receive the medical services they require.
One reason why so many employers choose Affinity Urgent Care as their occupational medicine provider is the broad scope of our employee health services. In addition to the basic occupational services listed above, we are also certified to administer Department of Transportation (DOT) physicals and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) testing.
If you’re still curious as to why so many local employers trust Affinity Urgent Care, consider the following:
- We are mindful of our patients’ busy schedules and strive to keep wait times to a minimum, usually less than 20 minutes.
- Our centers are equipped with digital X-ray machines, EKG equipment, and clinical labs to swiftly provide key diagnostic services on site.
- We are a part of the Urgent Care Association of America (UCAOA)—a designation reserved for the most reputable urgent care providers.
- We can provide many of our occupational medicine services at your place of business, thereby minimizing disruption to daily operations.
Learn More Information
Contact Affinity Urgent Care today if you would like to learn more about our occupational medicine or workers’ compensation services. Our friendly team of professionals will be happy to answer any questions you may have. We are in-network with most health insurance providers, including Medicare and Medicaid.